Last Updated August 3, 2015
Types of Personal Information We Collect
Personal Information is information that can be used to identify, locate, or contact an individual user. It also includes other information that may be associated with Personal Information. You may provide us with Personal Information when you register for an account, use the Service, post User Content, interact with other users of the Service through communication or messaging features, or send us customer service related requests. Note that our servers may also recognize certain information when you use the service.
We collect the following types of Personal Information:
- Contact Information that allows us to communicate with you, such as your name, postal address, email addresses, and social media user account names (if you sign in to uGrocery with a social media account like Facebook, Twitter or Google+).
- Relationship Information that helps us to understand who you are and what types of products and promotional offers you might be interested in. This includes lifestyle, preference, and interest information; location information related to your state/province, city, or zip code; the types of offers that interest you; information collected from social media interactions (such as via Facebook and Twitter); and demographic information (e.g., birth date, age, gender).
- Product Information about how you interact with the Services, such as the products you add to your shopping list, products you scan or search using the app, products you select as favorites and the stores you prefer; as well as your shopping list history and other information about how you use our Services and email.
- Location Information to help us deliver to you pricing and product information near your present location, if you have activated our Services on a mobile device and permitted your mobile device to transmit location data.
How uGrocery Collects Personal Information
We may ask you for Personal Information when you register, subscribe, create an account, link your uGrocery account to a retail loyalty card or loyalty program, or otherwise interact with the Services or contact uGrocery.
If you use a social media platform, a mobile device or other third-party method of communication to interact with uGrocery or the Services, those platforms may have a specific privacy statement that govern the use of Personal Information related to those platforms. If you have questions about the security and privacy settings of your mobile device, please refer to instructions from your mobile service provider or the manufacturer of your device to learn how to adjust your settings.
If you use the Services on a mobile device and your mobile device’s settings allow it, we may collect Personal Information from your mobile device. Please see the options section under the heading “mobile” for more information on the types of Personal Information that uGrocery may collect from the Services operating on a mobile device.
From time to time, we may obtain additional Personal Information from third parties. For example, we may collect Personal Information from third parties to help us better understand you, and to otherwise enhance the Services.
How uGrocery Uses Personal Information
uGrocery uses Personal Information to:
- Provide customer support to users;
- Operate and continuously improve our Services;
- Provide users with advertising and promotional offers for products and services from third party brands and retailers, based on variables such as stated and anticipated product interests, personal characteristics, items on a shopping list or marked as favorites, or user location;
- Provide card-linked offers;
- Perform analytics to evaluate the types of advertising and promotional offers, products or services that may be of interest to users;
- Communicate and provide additional information which may be of interest to you about uGrocery and our business partners, such as uGrocery news, special offers, announcements, and marketing materials;
- Send you reminders, technical notices, updates, security alerts and support and administrative messages service bulletins, or marketing;
- Information received from you may be aggregated with information received from other uGrocery users to create aggregate information. “Aggregate information” is information that describes the habits, usage patterns, and demographics of users as a group but does not describe or reveal the identity of any particular user. We will not attempt to re-identify personally identifiable user information from any aggregate information. Aggregate information may be used to help improve the uGrocery user experience. Aggregate information may also be shared with affiliates who provide services to us (for assisting us in research and analysis, improvement of the uGrocery application, and for any other reason we deem necessary). The aggregate information may also be shared with third parties for purposes including, but not limited to, improving the uGrocery user experience, marketing and development of new products and services, and for other commercial purposes.
Disclosure of your Personal Information
We may share your Personal Information and other collected information as described below:
- With our service providers that provide services for us to assist us in carrying out the purposes described above such as sending emails on our behalf, hosting the website and application, processing payments, and facilitating card-linked offers.
- With trusted third party business partners who are obligated to keep your information confidential.
- To effect a merger, acquisition, or otherwise; to support the sale or transfer of business assets; to enforce our rights or protect our property; to protect the rights, property or safety of others, investigate fraud, respond to a government request; or as needed to support auditing, compliance, and corporate governance functions. We may also disclose Personal Information to defend ourselves in litigation or a regulatory action, and when required or advised to do so by law, such as in response to a subpoena, or similar legal process, including to law enforcement agencies, regulators, and courts in the United States and other countries where we operate. If uGrocery is involved in a merger, acquisition, or sale of all or a portion of its assets, you will be notified via email and/or prominent notice on one or more of our Services of any change in ownership or uses of your Personal Information, as well as any choices you may have regarding your Personal Information; or
- Otherwise with your consent.
We encourage uGrocery’s business partners to adopt and post their privacy policies. However, the use of your Personal Information by such parties is governed by the privacy policies of such parties and is not subject to our control. Please be sure to review their privacy policies before interacting with any of our business partners.
uGrocery may also disclose information about you that is not personally identifiable. For example, we may provide our business partners or other third parties with reports that contain aggregated data, statistical data, and/or anonymized data.
Cookies and Related Technologies
When you use our Services, we may collect certain information by automated or electronic means, using technologies such as cookies, Flash cookies, Oauth tokens, pixel tags and web beacons, browser analysis tools, and web server logs. As you use our Services, your browser and devices communicate with servers operated by us, our business partners, and our service providers to coordinate and record the interactivity and meet your requests for services and information.
The information from cookies and related technology is stored in web server logs and also in web cookies kept on your computers or mobile devices, which are then transmitted back to our Services by your computers or mobile devices. These servers are operated and the cookies managed by us, our business partners or our service providers.
We also use third party services, such as Google Analytics, to help us understand how visitors interact with our website and to help improve our user experience.
For example, when you access our Services, uGrocery and our service providers may place cookies on your computers or mobile devices. These cookies may include means for tracking your Shopping profile with our business partners and may include tracking technology from third-party affiliate-network operators. Cookies allow us to recognize you when you return, and track and target your product interests in order to provide a customized experience. A “cookie” is a small amount of information that a web server sends to your browser that stores information about your account, your preferences, and your use of the Services. Some cookies contain serial numbers that allow us to connect your activity with the Services with other information we store about you in your profile or as related to your other interactions with the Services.
Some cookies are temporary, whereas others may be configured to last longer. “Session” cookies are temporary cookies used for various reasons, such as to manage page views. Your browser usually erases Session cookies once you exit your browser. “Persistent” cookies are more permanent cookies that are stored on your computers or mobile devices even beyond when you exit your browser. We use Persistent cookies for a number of purposes, such as retrieving certain information you have previously provided (such as your user id if you asked to be remembered), and storing your preferences.
Pixel tags and web beacons are tiny graphic images placed on website pages or in our emails that allow us to determine whether you have performed specific actions. When you access these pages or open email messages, the pixel tags and web beacons generate a notice of that action to us, or our service providers. These tools allow us to measure response to our communications and improve our web pages and promotions.
We collect many different types of information from cookies and other technologies. For example, we may collect information from the devices you use to access our Services, your operating system type or mobile device model, browser type, domain, and other system settings, as well as the language your system uses and the country and time zone of your device. Browsers routinely send these types of information to web servers. Our server logs also record the Internet Protocol (“IP”) addresses of the devices you use to interact with the Services. An IP address is a unique identifier that devices use to identify and communicate with each other on the Internet. We may also collect information about the website you were visiting before you came to our Services and the website you visit after you leave our Services, if this information is supplied to us by your browser.
Your Privacy Options
We believe there are great benefits from a more personalized experience when we know more about you and the kinds of products and promotions you like. However, you can limit the information you provide to uGrocery, and you can limit the communications that we send to you.
You can manage your email preferences by clicking “unsubscribe” on any email communication we send you. You may choose to subscribe to some types of messages, and may choose to unsubscribe from others.
You may manage how your browser handles cookies and related technologies by adjusting its privacy and security settings. Browsers are different, so refer to instructions related to your browser to learn about cookie-related and other privacy and security settings that may be available. Please note that if you disable cookies, you may be unable to access some customized features of our Services. You can opt-out of being targeted by certain third party advertising companies online at http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/
Some of the features of the Service may enable uGrocery to access and collect information about your current or past location in order to personalize the Service for you and provide other features of the Services (“Location-based Features”). In order to use Location-based Features, you must give uGrocery permission to use your geo-location through your device. uGrocery may access your geo-location using a variety of means, including GPS, IP address, or cell tower location. If you choose not to allow uGrocery to use your location information or disable the Location-based Features as indicated through your phone operating system, you will not be able to utilize certain features of the Service.
Alternatively, you may adjust the settings on your mobile device to prevent the sharing of Location Information. You may also manage how your mobile device or mobile browser handles cookies and related technologies by adjusting your mobile device privacy and security settings. Please refer to instructions provided by your mobile service provider or the manufacturer of your device to learn how to adjust your mobile device and mobile browser settings. Please note that if you disable the sharing of Location Information, you may be unable to access some features of our Services that are designed for mobile devices.
Connecting through Social Networks
Accessing and Correcting Personal Information
You may update or correct your profile information and preferences at any time by accessing your User Preferences settings through the Service. Please note that while your changes are reflected promptly in active user databases, we may retain all information you submit for a variety of purposes, including backups and archiving and analytics.
If you want to close your account or request that we no longer use your information to provide you services, or have other questions or requests, please contact us at care@uGrocery.com. In response, we will cancel or remove your information but may retain and use copies of your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
Security of Personal Information
We use certain physical, managerial, and technical safeguards that are designed to improve the integrity and security of your personally identifiable information. We cannot, however, ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us or store on the Service and you do so at your own risk. We also cannot guarantee that such information may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of any of our physical, technical, or managerial safeguards.
If we learn of a security systems breach, then we may attempt to notify you electronically, if electronic notification is permitted by law, so that you can take appropriate protective steps. We may post a notice through the Service if a security breach occurs.
Our Commitment to Children’s Privacy
Protecting the privacy of young children is especially important. For that reason, we do not allow children under 13 to use the Service or knowingly collect or maintain personally identifiable information from persons under 13 years-of-age, and no part of the Service is directed to persons under 13. If you are under 13 years-of-age, then please do not use or access Service at any time or in any manner. If we learn that personally identifiable information has been collected on the Service from persons under the age of 13 and without verifiable parental consent, then we will take the appropriate steps to delete this information. If you are a parent or guardian and discover that your child under the age of 13 has obtained an account on the Service, then you may alert us at firstname.lastname@example.org and request that we delete that child’s personally identifiable information from our systems.
Although we may allow you to adjust your privacy settings to limit access to your information, please be aware that no security measures are perfect or impenetrable. We cannot control the actions of other users with whom you may choose to share your information. Therefore, we cannot and do not guarantee that information you post on the Service will not be viewed by unauthorized persons. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Website. You understand and acknowledge that, even after removal, copies of information that you have posted may remain viewable in cached and archived pages or if other users have copied or stored such information.
The Service is hosted in the United States and is intended for visitors located within the United States. If you choose to use the Service from other regions of the world with laws governing data collection and use that may differ from U.S. law, then please note that you are transferring your personally identifiable information outside of those regions to the United States for storage and processing, and by providing your personally identifiable information on the Service you consent to that transfer, storage, and processing.
California Privacy Rights
Do Not Track
Certain web browsers and other devices you may use to access the application may permit you to indicate your preference that you do not wish to be “tracked” online. At this time we do not modify your experience through the Services, or modify the information we collect from you through the Services, based on whether such a preference is indicated.
Our Contact Information