Chicken Piccata and Vegetable Linguini
It’s Italian night for dinner tonight and we made an awesome Italian meal using delicious ingredients from King Soopers Taste of Italy event going on now through 9/27.
We used the King Soopers Italian World Flavor website for the recipe inspiration to make delicious Chicken Piccata and a Vegetable Linguini, served with warm olive bread. We started with a simple antipasto platter of Italian Salami with Parmesan Cheese and green olives. I chose a Pinot Grigio for dinner and it complimented the chicken and pasta perfectly! The kiddos were even asking for seconds on everything, which is rare.
For the Chicken Piccata, I used capote capers, freshly squeezed lemon juice and white wine to make the sauce. While my recipe was inspired by this recipe, my children prefer breaded chicken, so I used breadcrumbs rather than flour to prepare the chicken, and then added the sauce at the end. It was outstanding, and while perhaps not authentic Italian piccata, we loved it all the same!
Ingredients for Chicken Piccata:
- 1/2 cup milk
- Add salt and pepper to breadcrumbs to create a seasoned coating for the chicken
- Dip the chicken into milk then dredge in seasoned breadcrumbs until completely coated
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter and oil in a 12″ skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add chicken and cook, turning once, until golden brown, about 3-5 minutes (chicken should reach internal temperature of 165° F). Transfer to a serving platter and set aside.
- Add wine to skillet and cook, scraping bottom of pan, until reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Add stock and lemon slices, and bring to a boil. Cook until reduced by half, about 8 minutes. Add remaining butter, lemon juice, capers, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add chicken back to the pan and spoon the sauce over chicken and serve immediately. Refrigerate any leftovers.
For the linguini, I simply sauteed garlic, onions and peppers in olive oil, added capers, Kalamata olives and chopped fresh tomatoes and combined the cooked pasta with the vegetables, topped with chopped parsley and freshly shaved Parmesan Cheese.
Vegetable Linguini Ingredients:
- 1 box whole grain linguini pasta
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives, drained and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup capers, drained
- salt and pepper to taste
- freshly shaved Parmesan Cheese
Serve with a dry white wine, a simple antipasti platter of Italian meats, cheeses and olives and a loaf of olive bread, found in the bakery at King Soopers.
The Taste of Italy event is a fabulous celebration of Italian cuisine and specialty foods for a limited time at King Soopers. Read more about it here.
What delicious Italian recipes have you created with the Taste of Italy event? Let us know in the comments below!
This post was sponsored by King Soopers. All opinions, images and recipes are my own.