January is a month of transition for most of us. Starting our new year’s resolutions, putting away the holiday decor and gifts from December, getting organized for healthy eating, exercise and more! As such, January’s best buys are all about helping you achieve your new goals. January also means new budgets for consumer packaged goods (CPG) companies, which means new coupons and marketing initiatives like in-store displays, Catalina coupons and cash-back rebates to promote grocery products as well as other household goods. Here is a list of the 10 best things to buy this month:
1. Linens and Towels – January is traditionally the month of the “White Sale” across retailers where they discount sheets, towels and table linens 30 – 50%. Bedding, towels, curtains, and linens of all kinds have been going on sale since 1878. That’s when John Wanamaker, the father of department stores, introduced the first White Sale, and it’s a tradition that many stores have kept to this day.
2. Christmas and Holiday Clearance – lights, wrapping paper, holiday soaps, holiday packaged foods like cookie mix, chocolates, coffee, etc. Discounts start at 50% the day after Christmas and then inevitably the items will end up at 90% off as retailers clear the shelves to make room for Super Bowl promotions and Valentines candy and goodies.
3. Toys – prepare for overstocked toys to be on clearance at Target and Walmart. If you have young kids, plan ahead and stock up on clearance toys for upcoming birthday parties that you children will inevitably be invited to. You can save big bucks if you get into the habit of going to your stowed away gift bin to find birthday presents rather than driving to the toy store every other week.
4. Workout Equipment, Clothing and Gym Memberships – With exercise frequently appearing on new year’s resolutions lists, January is a great time to buy new workout clothes and equipment. Shoppers should turn to sporting goods stores, big-box stores, and specialty fitness retailers for deals on everything from treadmills to dumbbells to yoga pants. Expect savings between 25 percent and 50 percent off fitness goods. You can also find great deals on gym memberships with initiation fees waived and new member discounts.
5. Health & Diet Foods – With the resolution to lose weight and get healthy, retailers are discounting and brands are promoting coupons for supplements, vitamins, frozen dinners, protein and nutrition shakes and bars. If you have ever wanted to try a new weight loss product, January is the best time to buy and save on these items.
6. Winter Clothing – Retailers starting stocking sweaters and coats in October in preparation for winter sales and holiday. They need to clear out sweaters, coats and heavy winter clothing by February to make way for resort wear and spring break attire. Expect to see discounts of 40 – 60% off on clothing at Macy’s, Dillards, the Gap, Old Navy and other retailers.
7. Home Items and Kitchen Electronics – Home items are generally a focus on January sales, which include storage bins, kitchen appliances, furniture and decorative organization shelves.
8. TV’s and Video Games – Retailers will start discounting televisions and video games in mid January in preparation for new items that will hit the shelves after the consumer electonics show in Las Vegas as well as in preparation for the Super Bowl, which is on February 7th, this year.
Hot grocery sales in January
- Cereal & Breakfast Foods – With new CPG budgets and new coupons available in the marketplace, you will see hot deals on cereal, granola bars, oatmeal and more. You will also see new cereal flavors and breakfast products launched and discounted in January. Watch for Catalina coupons that may print out at your local grocery store when you buy multiple products. This year we have Catalina’s for Post cereals, Kimberly Clark products like Huggies, Scott Paper Towels and Bath Tissue, just to name a few.
- Ham and Turkey – retailers will be discounting any left over frozen ham or turkey from the holidays big time, so watch the meat department for sales as they will typically be unadvertised.
- Frozen dinners, canned soups and chilis
- Cold & Flu Medicines
- Vitamins, supplements
- Weight loss shakes and bars
- Seasonal produce – Apples, Beets, Brussels Sprouts, Carrots, Cauliflower, Celery, Chicory, Clementines and Oranges, Grapefruit, Kale, Kiwi, Leeks, Lemons, Parsnips, Passion fruit, Pears, Pomegranates, Potatoes, Rhubarb, Tangerines and Turnips
Be sure to use the uGrocery app to find all the best deals for your grocery list each week.